Monday, December 12, 2011

Sugarless. Pancakeless.

November 12, 2011

I have cut sugar completely out of my diet for 3 weeks. I mean ALL sugar. That includes all grains which turn to sugar in your stomach. Oy vey! Thankfully, I can have small, occasional amounts of fruit.

My favorite meal is breakfast and after a couple of weeks I've been really missing pancakes and the like.
In my ponderings on how to get around this, I considered almond meal.
Google turned up with some pancake recipes like this one (I couldn't find the one I used again but it was very similar. Shoulda pinned it :) using only almond meal for 'flour'.

Not too shabby. They definately tasted like almonds and were an interesting texture, but for being pancakes, I was eternally grateful. I did cheat a little and add a tiny bit of maple syrup with the strawberries and blueberries that I heated up in a saucepan for topping. But hey, real maple syrup has minerals in it so it's good for you, right?

The almond meal doesn't dissolve like flour so each pancake was a little different in texture based on how much liquid to almond ratio I got in my little ladle.

I wouldn't consistantly substitute these for regular gluten free pancakes that use grains such as rice and oats, but they were a worthy substitute in my time of depravity.




Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment