Friday, April 20, 2012

When left to my own devices

I bake.


Tonight my love is too tired to go out so I am home for a night in without him.


Tonight it's brownies.


I'm trying this recipe that I found by googling 'flour free cocoa brownies'. I never have baking chocolate on hand so I'm limited to cocoa... if you want to call that a limit. I love cocoa.


Here is the recipe:



Very Simple Gluten-free Brownies
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
4 eggs
2 Tbs. Butter
1/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened powdered cocoa
pinch of salt
Nuts are optional (can add nuts and / or chocolate chips to make them fancier)
Melt butter.
Add eggs and beat.
Add sugar and salt.
Add cocoa powder
Mix till all cocoa powder is fully absorbed and well blended, but not a lot more. Bake in buttered or parchment lined pan for aproximately 20 min. at 350, or till knife comes out clean. Check after 15 minutes and keep checking.




I put it in an 8x8 pan. The recipe doesn't include a pan size.
I used almost 1/4 cup of coconut oil instead of 2T butter, sucanat for sugar, one of my 4 eggs had a double yoke, and I didn't put nuts in. I also added 1t cinnamon because of the Aztec Brownies I love so much at Atticus Bookstore & Cafe in New Haven, CT. On my most recent visit I had their salted caramel brownie which is EVEN BETTER than the Aztec! I digress. The Aztec brownie has cinnamon and chili and it is wonderful. I didn't have any chili powder so I'll have to try that next time.


I picked this recipe because it is SO simple, using no kind of flour whatsoever. It's basically just eggs and cocoa powder (which definitely made me think twice about tasting the batter... raw eggs... blech). If it turns out, it will be a great find. If not, it'll still be chocolate...


I just realized that I didn't put any vanilla extract in which I always add no matter what the recipe says... oh well.


I cooked them about 20 minutes and let them cool on a wire rack for 5 min. before cutting into them.




They have this nice swirly pattern


Official Review:
They are spongy in texture and a little bitter. I may have cooked them too long but they are a little dry as well and they stick to the pan. They hold together pretty well but the overall experience is not amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment