Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Gluten Free Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake


This cake is so easy and the payoff is amazing. Of everything that I have baked since I have been married, my husband loved this the most.

I love cinnamon and, since I had to go gluten free, I don't think I have had one cinnamon roll. I haven't put out the effort to attempt to perfect a GF cinnamon roll recipe so, in the mean time, I'll make this! It's not quite the same but it's a darn good coffee cake and it'll give you your cinnamon fix.
It has a cinnamon sugar layer on top and swirled inside and it gets a lovely crackled top with nice dimension.



I found it here and it's originally from here.

Gluten Free Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake
Ingredients
Cake
  • ¼ c butter, softened
  • ¾ c sugar
  • ¾ c sour cream (The first time I made it I didn't have any sour cream so I made my own with heavy cream and lemon juice. Recipe in this video)
  • 2 eggs ( I made it once with only 1 egg and it turned out… just in case you're low on eggs :})
  • 2 T oil (I used coconut)
  • 1½ t vanilla extract
  • 1½ t cinnamon
  • 1½ c all-purpose Gluten Free flour (I used Jules. If you don't have all purpose GF flour, you can use rice flour or a combo of your favorite GF flours but be sure to add 3/4 t xanthan or guar gum)
  • ½ t baking soda
  • ¼ t salt
Filling-Topping
  • ½ c unsalted butter, almost melted
  • 1 c brown sugar, packed
  • 2 t cinnamon
Glaze
The original recipe uses a cream cheese glaze but I wanted a more basic glaze. I used Paula Dean's Glaze recipe.
  • 4 T butter
  • 2 c powdered sugar
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 3-6 T hot water (It really does make a difference in the consistency that the water is hot)
Instructions
Cake
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
Oil an 8 or 9 inch spring form pan. (If you don't have one, use a regular cake pan with parchment paper. No need to oil it.)
In a mixer add the butter and sugar and mix together until creamy. In a small bowl mix sour cream, eggs, oil, and vanilla and slowly add to butter and sugar mixture and beat for 3 minutes. In a small bowl combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt and slowly add flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat until smooth. Pour into to pan
Filling-Topping
Almost totally melt butter and add brown sugar and cinnamon to butter and stir until combined. Spread the topping over top of the cake mixture similar to frosting a cake using a knife to drag back and forth and up and down to make sure that the topping is moved into the cake and marbled. Place pan on a baking sheet and place into the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan. Once cooled remove to serving plate (If a regular cake pan with parchment was used, remove it from the pan by picking it up in the parchment paper, being careful not to break the cake. Place it on desired serving plate and rip the parchment away from the sides and pull it out from under the cake.)
Glaze
Mix butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Add hot water 1 T at a time until the glaze reaches desired consistency.

Drizzle Glaze over top of cooled cake. Enjoy!

Baking in a regular cake pan with parchment



No comments:

Post a Comment